West End Historic District
The West End of Greenville, located just across the Reedy River from downtown, has a long and interesting history. Although settlement in the area began as early as the 1830's, the real impetus for growth of the West End resulted from 2 events occurring in the 1850s. Furman University was established in 1852 on fifty acres of land and the first train on the Greenville and Columbia Railroad arrived in the West End in 1853. These factors led to both residential and commercial development of the area. Commercial activity in the area shifted from cotton to soft drink manufacturing and bottling, and the introduction of the automobile led to the construction of auto agencies and repair shops. New office and commercial buildings were constructed during this period as well to serve what was still a very vital commercial and residential area.